Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Stalk my Noms: Joe's Bar & Dining Hall St Kilda



Before you read on, repeat after me. Two serves of fried chicken, thank you. You got that? Let's say it again. Two serves of fried chicken, thank you. You need to get this ingrained into you like the Five cougars thanks ad.

I was so excited to finally make it to Joe's Bar! I have to say that there is not much that will make me go to St Kilda. Once upon a time, I used to love St Kilda. I knew where to snatch free parking, I had friends who also lived there and best of all I used to be 10 minutes around the corner. These days, all I can think of is the Punt Road nightmare. I become passenger from hell, yelling instructions on which lane to go to as it's faster. I had missed the invite for the winter menu tasting session, I told the folks at Joe's that I would come down one weekend after the boys and myself recovered. So I braced myself and packed the boys into the car. Mick was keen as mustard when I told him it's fried chicken, mac and cheese plus blueberry pie. I had him at fried chicken. Mmmm two serves of fried chicken, thank you.

Slow cooked Ribs, Pickled cabbage and BBQ Sauce
We were given chipotle popcorn to start the meal. Talk about a big spicy kick.. oohhh.. it was so funny because Pickles kept grabbing some more and then yelling spicy! The first dish that came out was the slow cooked ribs and we had our sides of fries as well. The ribs look pretty innocently doesn't it? The BBQ sauce is sweet at first taste and finishes on a spicy note as well. Wow.. I was starting to think that Joe's needs to put a rating scale on their food. Perhaps the hotter it is, the higher number of chipotles next to the food descriptions on the menu.

Southern Fried Chicken, Chipotle Mayo and Slaw
Say hi to my new best friend ... JFC - Southern fried chicken. Yummyyyy... moist chicken meat covered with a spicy crispy skin. I have not been to southern states of the US and had the real deal Southern fried chicken before. But I think JFC would come pretty close! I would love to find out from people who have tried both and can comment. I cannot rave about this enough and if you follow me on Twitter, you will know that I am obsessed with fried chicken. This one dish will be my motivation to drive all the way down Punt Road! Mmmm Two serves of fried chicken please.

Kat's Mac 'N' Cheese
I also have a total love affair with Mac and cheese plus this is one dish that I love making at home. Is there anything better than carbs and cheese? But Kat made it better by adding a crunchy sage and garlic crust on it! I have to say that I am very sorry to Kat but I think your mac and cheese must be totally authentic,  I found it too salty for my taste. I kept trying to eat more but I just could not finish it. It is still a must try for me because who goes to an American style diner and does not order Mac and Cheese? You will also be happy (or not) to know that it is not made using that plastic orange cheese. It's made with Cobot Vermont cheese.


If you are not already jealous of salivating, check out the blueberry pie. For $7, you can afford to get your own dessert. 4 of us shared this pie! The boys vacuumed up the pastry and ice cream. Mick dug around for the blueberry. I am not usually a blueberry fan either, but I was spooning lots of berries into my mouth! The pastry was thin and crispy as well! Oh my! 

Overall I thought for St Kilda, Joe's Bar is seriously competitively priced. So do yourself a favour and skip those stale cakes on Acland street and have your dessert at Joe's as well. I went up to the bar ready to pay for my meal and I was told that it was on the house even though I missed the blogger's tasting.

Joe's Bar is family friendly and I was not the only one who took the kiddies along. When I was there, they had a few group bookings for Saturday lunch. So make sure you book a table if you are wanting to go on a weekend, tweet them (they take twookings) or call (so primitive) on 9525 3755. They are at 64-66 Acland St, St Kilda.

Joe's Bar and Dining Hall on Urbanspoon

18 comments:

  1. I die for southern fried chicken and chipotle sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously yummy! Let's go there when you are back here next. But the menu needs a chipotle rating system. HAHAH

      Delete
  2. Awesomely yummy looking post -

    Now you're killing me! Tormenting me with fried chicken and blueberry pie. I cannot stop drooling all over the keyboard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is this place? Why do I not know it? The only Joes I remember is that pub / breaky place Greasy Joes near Dogs Bar, have they done it up?

    I want everything in this post but esp the fried chicken and mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's the old Greasy Joe's! Remember where it used to be and how funny the old wooden booths were? And how in Summer you couldn't get a seat outside? Yeah now it's renovated and it's called Joe's Bar and Dining. You need to go!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same, the old greasy joes! I'm going to have to admit I have never had mac n cheese other thank that awful dries supermarket shelf stuf so I have to go for this alone!

      Delete
    3. OMG really!! Girlllll get on the real thing.
      Don't even bother with freezer aisle ones.

      Delete
    4. Oh sad they have got rid of Greasy Joes. I used to go there for a dry up when I lived in St Kilda when I was suffering from a hangover every Sun. Will check this place out though!

      Delete
  4. I have been dying to check this place out! LOVE fried chicken! Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back again with Mr. C for our date night. Had the JFC...YUM! and the blueberry pie - although I had 3/4 of it and Mr. C only had 1/4! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PIEEEEEEE!!!!! JFCCCCCCCCC
      Gosh now I want some more.

      Delete
  6. Oh oh oh I have been waiting to go to Joe's bar for the LONGEST time! But keep forgetting about it when we're near the city or St Kilda area will need to go soon! Can't beef Southern Fried Chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to go! I'm glad you say it's family friendly so I can take the kids instead of putting it on the "date night" list which is getting way to long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a visitor to Melbourne I even know about the Punt road nightmare so have avoided St Kilda. But might go back with the kids as this place looks good. I love a good blueberry pie and fried chicken in my belly!

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey stalkers.. leave a message so I know you've been stalking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...